It’s frustrating to see racism in our everyday lives. Some of it is creeping, insidious, systemic; some of it is blatant and violent. But all of it needs to be combatted.
BTRtoday truly believes in equality and treating every human with respect and decency. We’ve been working hard in amplifying the voices of our BIPoC and LGBTQ+ friends in the world of music. And with the rise of anti-Asian racism during COVID-19 and the recent slew of hate crimes against the Asian community, we wanted to do more to highlight the Asian & Asian American voices in music. There is a neverending list of incredible contemporary underground Asian & Asian American musicians you should’ve already been obsessed with for years.
But before you dive into the playlist below, check out this short list of organizations to support, and resources to help educate yourself and help stop the spread of Asian hate.
- Anti-Asian Violence Resource site —this site not only has links to helpful resources, but also to news updates, statistics, and more.
- Asian American’s Advancing Justice —this site has bystander intervention training so you can be an ally on the streets.
- The Strategist article “68 Ways to Donate in Support of Asian Communities” —provides some very helpful links directing you where to donate.
- Asian Women Alliance—a network set up to spread funds to protecting marginalized AAPI women, youths, and elders and helping raise awareness.
- Welcome to Chinatown NYC— a grassroots initiative to support Chinatown businesses and amplify community voices that generate much-needed momentum to preserve the integral NYC neighborhood.
Now, listen below!
Hard Nips, “Blender X”
Baby Shakes, “Modern Girl Renegade”
Jaguar Jonze, “TESSELLATIONS”
Devyn Moon, “Remedy”
Lightning Bug,”Septmeber Song Pt. II”
Mini Trees, “Spring”
Caro Juna, “Unalone”
Gong Gong Gong, “Some Kind of Demon 某一種惡魔” (Yu Su Midnight Express Dub)
Chloe Tang, “Voicemails”
BuscoMujo, “Born Criminal”
Drinking Boys and Girls Choir, “Big Nine, Let’s Go”
CHAI, “Nobody Knows We Are Fun”