Today, Dentsu Aegis Network, confirmed the cancellation of Woodstock’s 50th Anniversary festival scheduled for Aug. 16-18.
Dentsu Aegis Network, the firm organizing the festival with co-founder Michael Lang, said, “Despite our tremendous investment of time, effort and commitment, we don’t believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees.”
The festival had headliners such as The Killers, The Lumineers, The Raconteurs alongside veterans acts like Robert Plant, Santana and Grateful Dead offshoot Dead and Company.
Tickets were slated to go on sale last week. According to the Poughkeepsie Journal on April 21, Schuyler County Administrator Tim O’Hearn said the state Department of Health was still reviewing the event’s permit application. With the permit pending, ticket sales were on hold.
That same article states that representatives for the festival deny the cancellation in a statement, saying, “Woodstock 50 vehemently denies the festival’s cancellation and legal remedy will [be] sought.” However, sources including Consequence of Sound, Billboard and Rolling Stone confirmed the cancellation.
Rolling Stone said Lang denied the rumors last week. Billboard reports that reps reached out to Live Nation and AEG inquiring about a $20 million investment, but both declined.
The Woodstock 50 website is still up with no notification of cancellation but tickets are not available.