Encore – Originally Aired May 22, 2015
What if you could wear your favorite yoga pants to work, and still look beautifully polished, professional, and commanding? That’s exactly what Lisa Sun, founder and CEO of Project Gravitas, has set out to do with her new line of women’s wear. Not only are Project Gravitas pieces comfortable and well-constructed classics, the designs are created with a variety of body shapes and sizes in mind. (Imagine that! A line of clothes for women, actually *designed* for more than one woman!)
Project Gravitas is just two years old, but in that time, the label has been featured in several top fashion publications including InStyle, Marie Claire, Elle, and Women’s Wear Daily, and has made multiple appearances in the O Magazine, after being selected as one of Oprah’s favorite things. An impressive resume, to say the least! Join us for a wonderfully inspiring, engaging talk with Lisa Sun, as she shares about the moment that ultimately led her to launch a new fashion label, what makes Project Gravitas designs unique, and some of the brand’s exciting new projects ahead!
And to go along with this empowering style, I’ve got a playlist full of empowering indie women. You’ll tracks in today’s mix from Neko Case, Sharon Van Etten, Beach House, Sylvan Esso, and Lia Ices. So join us for a Friday fashion happy hour and enjoy a shot of confidence, with Project Gravitas on BTR’s Sew & Tell!
Project Gravitas, by Lisa Sun
(Photos courtesy of Project Gravitas)
For more Project Gravitas designs and to shop the whole collection, visit the label’s website. You’ll also find some helpful tips on how to choose the best silhouette for your body, suggestions on how to style your PG dress, and some inspiring stories from the Gravitas Women! You can keep up with all the latest from Project Gravitas on…
Odds & Ends
– Mad Men is over! What did you think of the finale? This thoughtful, perceptive review from The New Yorkerhas some great insights.
– Cannes. You have GOT to be joking. (And well said, Emily Blunt!)
– Ellen just launched her own unisex fashion line, and had some really great, smart things to say about it and, well, life (because she’s Ellen!)
– Neko Case and Sharon Van Etten have both had interesting career paths and faced challenges along the way – I definitely recommend reading about their experiences!
– Take a listen to Emily West’s fantastic single “Bitter.” She, along with her team at Sony Music, will be the Gravitas Women in July, and stay tuned for her debut album coming out in August!
(Photo by Jason Creps)
Sharon Van Etten
(Photo by Dusdin Condren)
(Photo by D.L. Anderson)
Bartees Cox is a songwriter and producer who spent years playing in bands in Brooklyn before making the move to Washington, DC, where his solo project, Bartees Strange, took focus and grew - from an album of reinterpretations of The National’s music to his stunning full-length, genre-bending… | watch
Aliah Sheffield is the singer/songwriter also known as Nikkie Aliah. Her song, “Earth is Ghetto,” recently went viral and she chatted with Nikkiesha about what led her to her viral moment, her musical inspirations, and what she hopes and plans to do next… oh, and tequila. This podcast is… | listen
Whether you're a metalhead or not, this NYC trio will have you wrapped up in its soothing dark thrashers. | read