ENCORE – Originally Aired Feb 13, 2015
Join me this week for a conversation with Jenny Wu, an architect with Oyler Wu Collaborative and designer behind a new line of jewelry called LACE. Jenny’s beautifully intricate necklaces, earrings and rings have incredible drama and delicacy, and are created entirely through the process of 3-D printing. On today’s show, Jenny talks about the shared aesthetic and approach to design between her architecture and LACE pieces, the innovation 3-D print technologies are bringing to every field and industry, the materials and process she uses to create LACE, and more.
Plus, a playlist packed with great tunes including a new single off the upcoming Will Butler solo debut, the latest from NYC’s electronic artist/producer Michna, a song off the debut from psych/electronic artist Jib Kidder, and brand new Toro Y Moi.
So join us for Sew & Tell as we peer ahead into the future of fashion from 3-D printing, here on BreakThru Radio!
LACE by Jenny Wu
(All photos courtesy of LACE and Oyler Wu Collaborative)
(Photo by Christian Coleman)
(Photo by Christian Coleman)
(Photo by Jennifer Pan)
Samples of architectural work from Oyler Wu Collaborative
For more about LACE and Jenny’s work:
– Check out the LACE webshop for yourself and browse her beautiful collections.
– Learn more about the incredible installations and experimental architecture from Oyler Wu Collaborative.
– Read more about LACE in a recent feature from Ecouterre!
Odds & Ends
– It’s NYFW!! Fall 2015 collections are hitting the runways, and Banana Republic will be on the catwalk for the first time ever! Full coverage thisaway.
– It’s Outliers Week on BreakThru Radio, and I have the perfect fashion label for this week’s theme. In fact, I got to interview Outlier’s co-founders, Abe and Tyler, a few years ago on Sew & Tell!
– Best-dressed picks from the Grammys red carpet, courtesy of R29.
– Everlane has introduced a new line of Breton stripe shirts, and I am in love.
– This compilation of 22 Fashion Infographics is not only clever, it’s incredibly helpful! (The laundry instruction symbology on clothing tags has *always* mystified me!)
– Design Entrepreneur NYC offers a free “mini MBA” experience to qualified fashion businesses – what a cool opportunity!
– Check out the quirky, funny video for Will Butler’s single “Anna,” and count down the days until its March 10th release!
(Photo by Richmond Lam)
(Photo by Yumna)
Toro Y Moi
(Photo by Andrew Paynter)
The trailer for Tony Soprano's origin story is here, and it's in the best hands it could possibly be. | read
Joyful Noise Recordings is an Indianapolis-based eclectic indie label begun in 2003 by Karl Hofstetter. In this episode, we'll hear a ton of great music from the label's releases, along with an interview with Karl where we cover the label's beginnings, the importance of physical art objects, and how… | listen
Get spiritual with Spiritual Mick! | read
LA-based singer songwriter Willa Amai is a superb young talent and the protegée to legendary songwriter Linda Perry (4 Non Blondes). With extensive critical praise ahead of the release of her debut record, it’s no surprise that Amai delivers a stunning solo performance here for BTR Live Studio at… | watch
Ben made long walks a part of his quarantine routine once conditions in New York City were safe enough for that activity. On one of those walks, he was faced with a split-second decision to abandon all the caution he’d previously practiced (and which he discussed in a previous episode of 1st… | watch