This week’s show is all about Jordan! My guest is sneaker and Air Jordan expert Calvan Fowler, owner of the recently opened Jordan Heads shop in Brooklyn, and creator/director of the upcoming Jordan Heads documentary. Join us for a chat about sneaker culture, what makes Air Jordans and the Jordan brand unique, how the internet has changed the sneaker shopping and collecting experience, the Jordan Heads film, and more!
Plus, an indie playlist filled with excess – you’ll hear tracks from Australia’s Strange Talk, Sweden’s JJ, and a new song off the upcoming album from California duo Gardens & Villa. Get your sneaker style fix with Sew & Tell on BTR!
Select Air Jordan styles…
The 1987 Jordan 2’s, Calvan’s first love
My husband wanted these 1991 Air Jordan 6’s SO MUCH! (But never got them… maybe this Christmas?)
The coveted Eminem Air Jordan IV
The shoes that started it all… Air Jordan 1’s by Nike from 1985
For more Jordan Heads…
*Be sure to visit Calvan at the Jordan Heads Brooklyn shop, and prepare to learn some genuine Jordan history! Read more about Calvan’s favorite Jordans and his store in this feature from New York Magazine.
*Check out the website for the Jordan Heads documentary, and keep and eye out for its release later this year.
*Stay up-to-date with all the latest news, styles, and releases, and connect with fellow Jordan Heads, through social media:
– Jordan Heads Brooklyn Facebook, Twitter, Insta, and Tumblr
– Jordan Heads film Facebook, Insta, Twitter, and Vimeo.
*Last, but certainly not least, be sure to check out the Rise of Sneaker Culture exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum of Art!
Odds & Ends
– If you enjoyed the track from Roadkill Ghost Choir on today’s show, check out the throw-back album Howl from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. You’re welcome.
– Even though the nights are getting legitimately chilly again, it’s STILL SUMMER!! Celebrate accordingly – Thrillist is here to help.
– Speaking of cooler evenings – looking for the perfect lightweight transitional jacket to slip on over your sundress? One of my favorite labels, ace & jig, has the perfect stylish solution (as well as a giant, amazing sale!)
– Crunched for time but want to eat home-made food during the week? My new solution is making large-batch recipes that yield delicious leftovers, like Spaghetti Bake, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas (I cheat and use store-bought Salsa Verde from Trader Joe’s), or Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Salad.
– Ummmmmm. A candy subscription box? You had me at candy.
(Photo by Shervin Lainez)
Gardens & Villa
(Photo by Neil Favila)
Roadkill Ghost Choir
(Photo by Luca Venter)
Whether you're a metalhead or not, this NYC trio will have you wrapped up in its soothing dark thrashers. | read
Bartees Cox is a songwriter and producer who spent years playing in bands in Brooklyn before making the move to Washington, DC, where his solo project, Bartees Strange, took focus and grew - from an album of reinterpretations of The National’s music to his stunning full-length, genre-bending… | watch
Aliah Sheffield is the singer/songwriter also known as Nikkie Aliah. Her song, “Earth is Ghetto,” recently went viral and she chatted with Nikkiesha about what led her to her viral moment, her musical inspirations, and what she hopes and plans to do next… oh, and tequila. This podcast is… | listen