For BTR’s Open Week, Sew & Tell goes meta! I had the great opportunity to speak with Rob Sanchez and Pavan Bahl, two-thirds of the dynamic host trio behind Fashion Is Your Business, a great new podcast focused on the intersection of fashion, business and tech. In addition to hosting the weekly show, both men are entrepreneurs in the fashion field themselves: Rob just launched his own innovative menswear label, Ralph & Remington, while Pavan is the founder of a unique community and fashion/tech incubator called Open Source Fashion. On today’s show, you’ll hear from Rob and Pavan about their own individual projects, the development of Fashion Is Your Business, how the radio format can serve as a unique platform for fashion, a few of their own favorite fashion pieces, upcoming events and developments for Open Source Fashion and Ralph & Remington, and more!
And in the mix I’ve got a great playlist of indie tracks for you, featuring new work from electro-pop artists like Painted Palms, Brika, and The Mynabirds. So open yourself up to the business of fashion, with Fashion Is Your Business on BTR’s Sew & Tell!
Fashion Is Your Business, hosted by Rob Sanchez, Pavan Bahl and Marc Raco
(Photos and logo courtesy of Fashion Is Your Business)
FIYB Hosts (from left to right): Pavan Bahl, Marc Raco and Rob Sanchez
FIYB recording session
*Be sure to check out this week’s 50th episode special of Fashion Is Your Business, which you can stream online or find on iTunes and Stitcher! And to keep up with all the latest from the Fashion Is Your Business trio, track them down on…
*Take a peek at the Open Source Fashion calendar of events – there’s a full schedule of fantastic workshops and opportunities happening during NYFW! And if you’re in town, stop by the Nolcha Fashion Week Afterparty, co-hosted by Fashion Is Your Business and Open Source Fashion. It’s a private event, but Sew & Tell listeners can gain access with the code “queen.” Specify that you’re invited by OS Fashion, and get ready to party! Connect with the OSF community through…
*To learn more about design and development from Ralph & Remington, read up on Rob’s vision through the About and Story sections, and place your pre-order for their blended wool socks now! Find more Ralph & Remington on…
Odds & Ends
– Not ready to give up those white jeans just because the weather turns crisp? Good news, no need! According to professional stylists, white is good to wear all year long. How did the “no white after Labor Day” rule come into effect in the first place? wiseGEEK offers a few theories on the historical evolution of this unnecessary “rule” that was made to be broken.
– This eye-opening article from Racked offers insight into why that too-good-to-be-true deal on designer goods from Nordstroms Rack might not actually be true after all.
– Thanks to brilliant minds somewhere, the Catalina Wine Mixer from “Step Brothers” is now actually happening. There will be so many activities to do there!
– Tim & I are looking to turn over a new healthier eating leaf this fall (haha, fall leaves!), and this recipe promises a delicious yet waist-friendly opportunity to celebrate the season.
– How gorgeous is this Single-Button Ombre Cardigan from Indigenous Designs? I’ll take one in each color, thankyouverymuch.
Steven A. Clark
(Photo by Devin Christopher)
(Photo by Jeffery Salter)
(Photo by Bliss Braoudakis)
Ben made long walks a part of his quarantine routine once conditions in New York City were safe enough for that activity. On one of those walks, he was faced with a split-second decision to abandon all the caution he’d previously practiced (and which he discussed in a previous episode of 1st… | watch
LA-based singer songwriter Willa Amai is a superb young talent and the protegée to legendary songwriter Linda Perry (4 Non Blondes). With extensive critical praise ahead of the release of her debut record, it’s no surprise that Amai delivers a stunning solo performance here for BTR Live Studio at… | watch
Joyful Noise Recordings is an Indianapolis-based eclectic indie label begun in 2003 by Karl Hofstetter. In this episode, we'll hear a ton of great music from the label's releases, along with an interview with Karl where we cover the label's beginnings, the importance of physical art objects, and how… | listen
Get spiritual with Spiritual Mick! | read
The trailer for Tony Soprano's origin story is here, and it's in the best hands it could possibly be. | read