It’s Fan Week here on BTR, and this week’s guest is truly fan-tastic! (Sorrynotsorry). Holly Shortall is an illustrator from Ireland whose fresh, fun fashion art gained global attention when Kim Kardashian re-posted one of Holly’s portraits of her. Not long after that, Cosmopolitan commissioned a series of drawings from Holly, and her work was launched into the virtual stratosphere. On today’s show, Holly talks about her early love for drawing and how it’s evolved; what it takes to be a freelance artist in today’s global media landscape; some of her favorite stylish celebrities from the 90’s and today; her own go-to style staple, and more.
Plus, a variety-packed playlist with something for every music fan, featuring songs from cross-Continental duo AM & Shawn Lee, Scottish indie vets Teenage Fanclub, and the latest single from the electro-pop duo that can do no wrong, Sylvan Esso. So come celebrate your inner fashion fangirl with us: it’s Sew & Tell on BreakThru Radio!
Holly, wearing her signature
Illustrations by Holly Shortall
(All images courtesy of Holly Shortall)
For more of Holly…
– Visit her website & her fantastic webshop of celebrity fashion illustration prints! This would be the perfect gift for that trend-setting friend who has everything…
– Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for new illustrations, updates, tips, and more.
– Ireland’s TEN broadcast did a great interview with Holly about how she caught the attention of one Ms. Kim Kardashian.
– Check out Holly’s pitch-perfect renderings of Kim and Kanye as Disney couples for Cosmopolitan.com!
– Explore the creations of Irish designer Helen Steele and the beautiful style work of Grace Moore (in collaboration with Grace Coddington and Vogue, etc.)
– Paula Yates’s wedding dress is everything a 90’s rockstar wedding should have.
Odds & Ends
– Speaking of being a fan, I am a huge fan of Sylvan Esso AND Gillian Welch – imagine my joy when I came across this gem.
– More about the sad demise of Lucky magazine.
– I have to admit that I don’t follow celebrity fashion very closely, but I do have a few favorites, one of whom is Emma Watson. That girl can’t NOT look classy. Exhibit A, her recent outing to a London nightclub.
(Photo via Luaka Bop)
Sept 11 – Festival Jazz a La Villette @ Grande Halle de la Villette – Paris, France
(Photo by DL Anderson)
July 3 – Summerfest – Milwaukee, WI
July 17 – Eaux Claires – Eau Claire, WI
July 24 – WayHome Music Festival – Oro-Medonte,
July 25 – Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival – Brooklyn, NY
July 26 – Surf Lodge – Montauk, NY
July 30 – Empty Bottle – Chicago, IL
July 31 – Lollapalooza – Chicago, IL
Aug 1 & 2 – Osheaga – Montreal, Quebec
Aug 14 – Red Rocks Amphitheatre – Morrison, CO
Aug 20 – Green Man Festival – Crickhowell, United Kingdom
Aug 21 – Dockville – Hamburg, Germany
Aug 22 – Paredes de Coura – Porto, Portugal
Aug 23 – Green Man Festival – Crickhowell, United Kingdom
Sept 25 – Midpoint Music Festival – Cincinnati, OH
Aliah Sheffield is the singer/songwriter also known as Nikkie Aliah. Her song, “Earth is Ghetto,” recently went viral and she chatted with Nikkiesha about what led her to her viral moment, her musical inspirations, and what she hopes and plans to do next… oh, and tequila. This podcast is… | listen
Whether you're a metalhead or not, this NYC trio will have you wrapped up in its soothing dark thrashers. | read
Bartees Cox is a songwriter and producer who spent years playing in bands in Brooklyn before making the move to Washington, DC, where his solo project, Bartees Strange, took focus and grew - from an album of reinterpretations of The National’s music to his stunning full-length, genre-bending… | watch