It’s Fan Week here on BTR, and this week’s guest is truly fan-tastic! (Sorrynotsorry). Holly Shortall is an illustrator from Ireland whose fresh, fun fashion art gained global attention when Kim Kardashian re-posted one of Holly’s portraits of her. Not long after that, Cosmopolitan commissioned a series of drawings from Holly, and her work was launched into the virtual stratosphere. On today’s show, Holly talks about her early love for drawing and how it’s evolved; what it takes to be a freelance artist in today’s global media landscape; some of her favorite stylish celebrities from the 90’s and today; her own go-to style staple, and more.
Plus, a variety-packed playlist with something for every music fan, featuring songs from cross-Continental duo AM & Shawn Lee, Scottish indie vets Teenage Fanclub, and the latest single from the electro-pop duo that can do no wrong, Sylvan Esso. So come celebrate your inner fashion fangirl with us: it’s Sew & Tell on BreakThru Radio!
Holly, wearing her signature
Illustrations by Holly Shortall
(All images courtesy of Holly Shortall)
For more of Holly…
– Visit her website & her fantastic webshop of celebrity fashion illustration prints! This would be the perfect gift for that trend-setting friend who has everything…
– Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for new illustrations, updates, tips, and more.
– Ireland’s TEN broadcast did a great interview with Holly about how she caught the attention of one Ms. Kim Kardashian.
– Check out Holly’s pitch-perfect renderings of Kim and Kanye as Disney couples for Cosmopolitan.com!
– Explore the creations of Irish designer Helen Steele and the beautiful style work of Grace Moore (in collaboration with Grace Coddington and Vogue, etc.)
– Paula Yates’s wedding dress is everything a 90’s rockstar wedding should have.
Odds & Ends
– Speaking of being a fan, I am a huge fan of Sylvan Esso AND Gillian Welch – imagine my joy when I came across this gem.
– More about the sad demise of Lucky magazine.
– I have to admit that I don’t follow celebrity fashion very closely, but I do have a few favorites, one of whom is Emma Watson. That girl can’t NOT look classy. Exhibit A, her recent outing to a London nightclub.
(Photo via Luaka Bop)
Sept 11 – Festival Jazz a La Villette @ Grande Halle de la Villette – Paris, France
(Photo by DL Anderson)
July 3 – Summerfest – Milwaukee, WI
July 17 – Eaux Claires – Eau Claire, WI
July 24 – WayHome Music Festival – Oro-Medonte,
July 25 – Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival – Brooklyn, NY
July 26 – Surf Lodge – Montauk, NY
July 30 – Empty Bottle – Chicago, IL
July 31 – Lollapalooza – Chicago, IL
Aug 1 & 2 – Osheaga – Montreal, Quebec
Aug 14 – Red Rocks Amphitheatre – Morrison, CO
Aug 20 – Green Man Festival – Crickhowell, United Kingdom
Aug 21 – Dockville – Hamburg, Germany
Aug 22 – Paredes de Coura – Porto, Portugal
Aug 23 – Green Man Festival – Crickhowell, United Kingdom
Sept 25 – Midpoint Music Festival – Cincinnati, OH
Did he really think these politically vocal liberal artists would let him use their music? | read
We review the news of the week. Discussion of new movie, ‘Shirley.’ Music by Vagabon and Worriers | listen
The Black & queer musician uses his art for justice, but is taking it to a whole new level. | read