Haven’t you heard? Hemp is the new cotton! It’s Vacation Week on BTR, and this week’s guest has designed the *perfect* t shirt to pack for the beach. Robert Jungmann launched his hemp-based label, Jungmaven, after spending time in Costa Rica where he learned about natural dyeing techniques. Now, Jungmaven offers a variety of beautifully crafted 100% hemp and hemp-blend designs, the line is carried in shops from Urban Outfitters to Zady, and Robert is on a mission to see everyone in a hemp t shirt by 2020. Join us on today’s show as Robert talks about his introduction to hemp as a textile and its incredible, unique properties; why hemp could be the sustainable answer to the future of farming and manufacturing; a few of his own favorite vacation spots; some upcoming projects and collaborations for the brand, and more!
Plus, a vacation-centric playlist with new music from The Milk Carton Kids, Hot Chip, and Heartless Bastards, along with tracks off the debut albums from Bent Denim and Guts Club. So join us this hour as we take a vacation from the cotton t, with Sew & Tell on BTR!
Jungmaven, by Robert Jungmann
(Photos courtesy of Jungmaven)
For more of Jungmaven & hemp…
– Follow the brand on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to keep up with all the latest designs and developments, and to participate in the #hemp2020 campaign!
– Learn more about Hemp 2020 and the campaign’s initiatives; visit hemp.org and votehemp.com for more information about the fight to legalize hemp farming, and about the textile’s rich history. And read all about the ways in which hemp stands to be a very profitable plant for the future of agriculture in this recent op-ed from the LA Times!
Odds & Ends
– Looking for vacation packing tips? Look no further than Elle and Glamour, both of whom recently published outfit ideas and packing guides. And if you’re headed to a walking-centric destination, footwear can present a bit of a fashion quandary… but not to worry! Fodor’s has the solutions on their list of 15 Most Stylish Women’s Shoes for Travel (just remember not to go to Cannes with those TOMS flats…!)
– Is it a stylish *destination* that you’re after? Forbes has you covered with their list of top vacation spots for 2015. It starts off with Iceland, and just gets better from there!
– Should you find yourself in the Czech Republic, don’t miss Prague because 1) It’s a gorgeous city, and 2) It has this amazing shop called Denim Heads.
– It’s summer, so shouldn’t we all be enjoying a porch swing?
– Stream the full debut album from Bent Denim over on Stereogum while it’s up – it’s a unique record from a promising young duo.
– Fashionista has some great tips for fashion grads on getting a job within the industry.
– The True Cost, a film about the dark side of the fashion industry, has been getting rave reviews and a lot of great press! Check out this archive show to learn more about the documentary project and filmmaker Andrew Morgan.
(Photo by Steve Gullick)
May 30 – First Avenue – Minneapolis, MN
May 31 – Turner Hall Ballroom – Milwaukee, WI
June 2 – Majestic Theatre – Detroit, MI
June 3 – Danforth Music Hall – Toronto, Ontario
June 4 – House of Blues – Boston, MA
June 5 – Echostage – Washington, D.C.
June 6 & 7 – Governor’s Ball Music Festival @ Randall’s Island – New York, NY
June 24 – 28 – Glastonbury Festival @ Worthy Farm – Pilton, United Kingdom
July 3 – 9 – Montreux Jazz Festival – Montreux, Switzerland
July 10 – 12 – T in The Park – Auchterarder, United Kingdom
July 17 & 18 – Lovebox @ Victoria Park – London, United Kingdom
July 31 – Aug 2 – Lollapalooza @ Hutchinson Field, Grant Park – Chicago, IL
Aug 7 – 9 – Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival @ Golden Gate Park – San Francisco, CA
Aug 11 – Greek Theatre – Los Angeles, CA
Aug 20 – 23 – Green Man Festival – Powys, United Kingdom
Sept 12 & 13 – Lollapalooza Berlin – Berlin, Germany
Oct 13 – O2 Academy Bristol – Bristol, United Kingdom
Oct 14 – Pyramid Centre – Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Oct 16 – Barrowland Ballroom – Glasgow, United Kingdom
Oct 17 – Albert Hall – Manchester, United Kingdom
Oct 18 – Leeds Beckett University – Leeds, United Kingdom
Oct 20 – Rock City – Nottingham, United Kingdom
Oct 21 – Cambridge Corn Exchange – Cambridge, United Kingdom
Oct 22 – O2 Academy Brixton – London, United Kingdom
The Milk Carton Kids
(Photo by Ryan Mastro)
July 10 – Greenfield Community College – Greenfield, MA
July 25 – Calgary Folk Festival – Calgary, Alberta
Aug 6 – 9 – Mile of Music Festival – Appleton, WI
Sept 7 – Academy of Music Theatre – Northampton, MA
Sept 8 – Berklee Performance Center – Boston, MA
Sept 9 – Keswick Theatre – Glenside, PA
Sept 10 – Lisner Auditorium @ George Washington University – Washington, D.C.
Sept 11 – Town Hall – New York, NY
Sept 13 – Carolina Theatre Durham – Durham, NC
Sept 15 – Bijou Theatre – Knoxville, TN
Sept 17 – Bomhard Theater @ Kentucky Center – Louisville, KY
Sept 18 – Lincoln Theatre – Columbus, OH
Sept 30 – Lobero Theatre – Santa Barbara, CA
Oct 1 – The Theatre at the Ace Hotel – Los Angeles, CA
Oct 4 – Laxson Auditorium @ CSU Chico – Chico, CA
Oct 5 – The Newmark Theatre – Portland, OR
Oct 6 – The Moore Theatre – Seattle, WA
Oct 7 – Vogue Theatre – Vancouver, British Columbia
Oct 9 – Winspear Centre – Edmonton, Alberta
Oct 10 – Central United Church – Calgary, Alberta
Oct 28 – Queen Elizabeth Theatre – Toronto, Ontario
Oct 29 – The Ark – Ann Arbor, MI
Oct 30 – Fourth Presbyterian Church – Chicago, IL
Oct 31 – Covenant Fine Arts Center @ Calvin College – Grand Rapids, MI
Nov 2 – Fitzgerald Theater – St. Paul, MN
Nov 3 – Barrymore Theatre – Madison, WI
Nov 4 – Sheldon Concert Hall – St. Louis, MO
Nov 5 – James K. Polk Theater @ Tennessee Performing Arts Center – Nashville, TN
Nov 6 – Atlanta Symphony Hall – Atlanta, GA
Nov 9 – Diana Wortham Theatre @ Pack Place – Asheville, NC
Nov 10 – Charleston Music Hall – Charleston, SC
Dec 1 – Palace of Fine Arts – San Francisco, CA
Dec 2 – Uptown Theatre – Napa, CA
Dec 3 – John Van Duzer Theatre @ Humboldt State University – Arcata, CA
Dec 5 – Balboa Theatre – San Diego, CA
Dec 7 – Tom and Janet Ikeda Theater @ Mesa Arts Center – Mesa, AZ
Dec 8 – Lensic Theater – Santa Fe, NM
Dec 9 – Boulder Theater – Boulder, CO
Dec 11 – Majestic Theatre – Dallas, TX
Dec 13 – Paramount Theatre – Austin, TX
(Photo by Michael Muller)
July 8 – La Cave – Costa Mesa, CA
Sept 20 – Los Angeles Center Studios – Los Angeles, CA
Honey, you need to tell your haters to f*ck off and this track will give you that empowering push. | read
Based on recent interviews, there’s no reason to think the president would perform even competently. | read
The news of the week. Discussion of new movie, ‘John Lewish: Good Trouble.’ Music by Thanya Iyer. | listen