Fashion is driven by FOMO, but true personal style is usually more about a strong sense of identity and self-confidence than trends. This week’s guest, Kavita Parmar, knows the value of quality classics – she’s the designer and co-founder behind the ingenious label The IOU Project, a new brand that’s reimagining transparency within fashion. Learn more about this innovative fashion model as Kavita shares about The IOU Project’s inception, the principles and passion behind the brand, the artisans that create each garment and their shared stories, upcoming collaborations and projects, and more!
Plus, I’ve got a great playlist of fresh music to keep FOMO at bay, including more music off the latest from Arizona’s Calexico, and brand new releases from Twinsmith, Michael Rault, and Icelandic singer-songwriter Soley! So don’t miss out on today’s Sew & Tell – join us for FOMO Week because YOLO!
Select designs from The IOU Project
(Photos courtesy of The IOU Project)
Classic with a quirky twist – the Madras Blazer!
L-O-V-E this Barracuda Jacket!
You can’t go wrong with The Fitted Shirt (and check out that badass single orange cuff!)
It is not summer without a great pair of Denim Shorts. I’m sorry, but it’s not.
I will take twelve of these, pleaseandthankyou.
And then eight more of these.
Looking for the perfect beach bag? Call off the hunt!
Cool IOU Kids…
Odds & Ends
– Highlights from the Met Gala red carpet! Here are R29’s winning picks, and a thoughtful article on the biggest missteps from Fashionista. (What’s most intriguing are the looks that made both lists…)
– Reese Witherspoon is officially giving Blake Lively and Gwenyth Paltrow a run for their money with her new site/webshop, Draper James. Which lady is your favorite (life)style guru?
– No FOMO need with R29’s handy guide on how to wear the “it” hairstyle of the season: the long bob.
– Read more about the sonic transformation of Canadian singer-songwriter Michael Rault in this in-depth review from Pitchfork.
– Adam Torres has been a beloved underground/cult classic musician for years, particularly his debut solo album “Nova Nostra.” Torres is just now coming back into the studio to record more material; read up on the soon-to-be rising star in this article from Wondering Sound.
– The easiest, most delicious marinated chicken, courtesy of Dinner: A Love Story!!! It renders the chicken breasts tender, moist, lightly sweet, and full of flavor. Make it. Grill it. Repeat as often as possible.
– BuzzFeed helps you answer the burning question: are you more like Tina Fey or Amy Poehler? (I got Tina, because doughnuts.)
– And because personality tests are fun & addictive… What’s your breakfast cereal personality? The Kitchn helps you find out. I have to admit, they had me pretty well pegged with my choice of Special K w/ Strawberries.
(Photo by Ryan Fujiki)
May 23 – Silver Dollar Room – Toronto, Ontario
July 16 – Boot & Saddle – Philadelphia, PA
July 17 – Tropicalia – Washington, D.C.
July 18 – Local 506 – Chapel Hill, NC
July 20 – Georgia Theatre – Athens, GA
July 24 – Beat Kitchen – Chicago, IL
(Photo by Andrew Lachance)
May 15 – Slowdown – Omaha, NE
(Photo by Anne Peters)
May 14 – Botanique – Brussels, Belgium
May 15 – St Giles-in-the-Fields Church – London, United Kingdom
May 16 – The Great Escape @ Brighton Corn Exchange – Brighton, United Kingdom
May 17 – London Calling Festival @ Paradiso – Amsterdam, Netherlands
May 19 – Rotown – Rotterdam, Netherlands
May 27 – Zoom – Frankfurt, Germany
May 28 – Gebäude 9 – Cologne, Germany
Sept 23 – Atlas – Aarhus, Denmark
Sept 29 – Plaza – Zurich, Switzerland
Oct 1 – Les Etoiles – Paris, France
Nov 4 – 8 – Iceland Airwaves – Reykjavik, Iceland
Bartees Cox is a songwriter and producer who spent years playing in bands in Brooklyn before making the move to Washington, DC, where his solo project, Bartees Strange, took focus and grew - from an album of reinterpretations of The National’s music to his stunning full-length, genre-bending… | watch
Whether you're a metalhead or not, this NYC trio will have you wrapped up in its soothing dark thrashers. | read
Aliah Sheffield is the singer/songwriter also known as Nikkie Aliah. Her song, “Earth is Ghetto,” recently went viral and she chatted with Nikkiesha about what led her to her viral moment, her musical inspirations, and what she hopes and plans to do next… oh, and tequila. This podcast is… | listen