Fashion is full of secrets, but what about a “secret” runway show? This week’s guest, independent designer Kim Mesches, pulled off just that during this past NYFW when he debuted his F/W 2015 collection with a flash show on the L Train! Join me as we chat about his eponymous label, how he got his start making graffiti-inspired sneakers and clothes for Beanie Babies, what it was like to transition from designing sneakers to evening wear, his guerrilla subway runway show, and more!
Plus, I’ve got a great playlist full of tracks off brand new releases from Dan Deacon, The Adventures of the Silver Spaceman, Sonny & the Sunsets, Phosphorescent, and new-to-the-scene Travis Bretzer! So stick around for the best-kept secret in style: it’s Sew & Tell on BreakThru Radio!
Stills from KIM MESCHES F/W 2015 L Train Runway Show
More looks from the KIM MESCHES line – you’ll find select styles available now on Amazon!
Some of the looks Kim designed for Anne Bowen
Pauly D in some Kim Mesches original sneakers!
For more of Kim’s work…
– Check out his Amazon shop, where you’ll find a beautiful collection of seasonless looks!
– Follow him on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to stay up-to-date on all the latest news and designs.
Odds & Ends
– Learn more about the quirky, unique, compelling indie project The Adventures of the Silver Spaceman…
– Come to the BTR party at SXSW! Details here!
– You can sample the full new album from Sonny & The Sunsets via Stereogum – check it out!
– I love this NPR article on/interview with Dan Deacon – he’s got some great, funny things to say about work and creativity.
– Now I want to try cleansing rice water on my face, and find my personal uniform. What’s your go-to style secret?
– Fashionista has fantastic articles about resources for young designers, including this piece on the true cost of a start-up and this one about a growing pool of awards and scholarships available to fashion newbies!
(Photo by Aubrey Edwards)
April 18 – Untapped Festival – Austin, TX
(Photo by Frank Hamilton)
April 4 – Catacomb – Fresno, CA
April 8 – The Southern Cafe and Music Hall – Charlottesville, VA
April 9 – Mr. Small’s Theatre – Millvale, PA
April 10 – First Unitarian Church – Philadelphia, PA
April 11 – 9:30 Club – Washington, DC
April 16 – Cat’s Cradle – Carrboro, NC
April 17 – The Orange Peel – Asheville, NC
April 18 – Mammal Gallery – Atlanta, GA
April 19 – Bottletree Cafe – Birmingham, AL
April 21 – Republic New Orleans – New Orleans, LA
April 23 – Mohawk – Austin, TX
April 24 – Fitzgerald’s – Houston, TX
April 25 – Trees – Dallas, TX
April 28 – The Crescent Ballroom – Phoenix, AZ
April 29 – The Casbah – San Diego, CA
May 1 – Echoplex – Los Angeles, CA
May 2 – Sunset Ranch Oasis – Mecca, CA
May 5 – WOW Hall – Eugene, OR
May 6 – Mississippi Studios – Portland, OR
May 7 – Electric Owl Social Club – Vancouver, British Columbia
May 8 – Neumos Crystal Ball Reading Room – Seattle, WA
May 9 – The Shredder – Boise, ID
May 10 – Urban Lounge – Salt Lake City, UT
May 12 – Bluebird Theater – Denver, CO
May 13 – Slowdown – Omaha, NE
May 14 – Cedar Cultural Center – Minneapolis, MN
May 15 – High Noon Saloon – Madison, WI
May 16 – Thalia Hall – Chicago, IL
May 17 – Zanzabar – Louisville, KY
May 19 – Magic Stick – Detroit, MI
May 20 – Phoenix Concert Theatre – Toronto, Ontario
May 21 – Theatre Fairmount – Montreal, Quebec
May 22 – Warsaw – Brooklyn, NY
May 23 – Brighton Music Hall – Allston, MA
May 28 & 29 – Primavera Sound Festival – Barcelona, Spain
May 30 & 31 – This Is Not A Love Song @ Paloma – Nimes, France
June 4 – 6 – NOS Primavera Sound @ Parque da Cidade – Porto, Portugal
June 19 – 21 – Best Kept Secret Festival @ Beekse Bergen – Hilvarenbeek, Netherlands
Sonny & The Sunsets
(Photo by Alice Shaw)
June 12 – Gundlach Bundschu Winery – Sonoma, CA
Hear their take on the classic Hawaiian Christmas carol here first. | read
We discuss new movies, ‘Marriage Story’ and ‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire.’ Plus a preview of Queen of Jeans’ upcoming BTR Live Studio session. | listen
Garbage holiday movies are best shared with friends and loved ones. | read