Join me this week for a conversation with Jenny Wu, an architect with Oyler Wu Collaborative and designer behind a new line of jewelry called LACE. Jenny’s beautifully intricate necklaces, earrings and rings have incredible drama and delicacy, and are created entirely through the process of 3-D printing. On today’s show, Jenny talks about the shared aesthetic and approach to design between her architecture and LACE pieces, the innovation 3-D print technologies are bringing to every field and industry, the materials and process she uses to create LACE, and more.
Plus, a playlist packed with great tunes including a new single off the upcoming Will Butler solo debut, the latest from NYC’s electronic artist/producer Michna, a song off the debut from psych/electronic artist Jib Kidder, and brand new Toro Y Moi.
So join us for Sew & Tell as we peer ahead into the future of fashion from 3-D printing, here on BreakThru Radio!
LACE by Jenny Wu
(All photos courtesy of LACE and Oyler Wu Collaborative)
(Photo by Christian Coleman)
(Photo by Christian Coleman)
(Photo by Jennifer Pan)
Samples of architectural work from Oyler Wu Collaborative
For more about LACE and Jenny’s work:
– Check out the LACE webshop for yourself and browse her beautiful collections.
– Learn more about the incredible installations and experimental architecture from Oyler Wu Collaborative.
– Read more about LACE in a recent feature from Ecouterre!
Odds & Ends
– It’s NYFW!! Fall 2015 collections are hitting the runways, and Banana Republic will be on the catwalk for the first time ever! Full coverage thisaway.
– It’s Outliers Week on BreakThru Radio, and I have the perfect fashion label for this week’s theme. In fact, I got to interview Outlier’s co-founders, Abe and Tyler, a few years ago on Sew & Tell!
– Best-dressed picks from the Grammys red carpet, courtesy of R29.
– Everlane has introduced a new line of Breton stripe shirts, and I am in love.
– This compilation of 22 Fashion Infographics is not only clever, it’s incredibly helpful! (The laundry instruction symbology on clothing tags has *always* mystified me!)
– Design Entrepreneur NYC offers a free “mini MBA” experience to qualified fashion businesses – what a cool opportunity!
– Check out the quirky, funny video for Will Butler’s single “Anna,” and count down the days until its March 10th release!
(Photo by Richmond Lam)
March 6 – TT the Bears – Boston, MA
March 7 – Baby’s All Right – Brooklyn, NY
March 12 – Brillobox – Pittsburgh, PA
March 13 – Boot & Saddle – Philadelphia, PA
March 14 – Rock & Roll Hotel – Washington, D.C.
March 15 – The Earl – Durham, NC
March 18 – 21 – SXSW – Austin, TX
March 24 – The Bishop – Bloomington, IN
March 26 – Calvin College – Grand Rapids, MI
March 27 – Horseshoe Tavern – Toronto, Ontario
March 28 – Bar le Ritz PDB – Montreal, Quebec
(Photo by Yumna)
Feb 19 – Bardot – Miami, FL
Feb 24 – LoFi Gallery – Seattle, WA
Feb 25 – The Airliner – Los Angeles, CA
Feb 28 – New Frontier – Tacoma, WA
March 18 – SXSW – Austin, TX
March 21 – Cameo Gallery – Brooklyn, NY
Toro Y Moi
(Photo by Andrew Paynter)
Feb 26 – The New Parish – Oakland, CA
March 24 – The Cellar Door – Visalia, CA
March 25 – SLO Brew – San Luis Obispo, CA
March 26 – Loma Vista Gardens – Big Sur, CA
March 28 – The Independent – San Francisco, CA
March 31 – Lido – Berlin, Germany
April 1 – Melkweg Oude Zaal – Amsterdam, Netherlands
April 2 – Vk* – Brussels, Belgium
April 3 – Mascotte – Zurich, Switzerland
April 4 – La Maroquinerie – Paris, France
April 6 – Sound Control – Manchester, United Kingdom
April 8 – Oval Space – London, United Kingdom
April 10 – 12 – Coachella @ Empire Polo Club – Indio, CA
April 15 – The Observatory North Park – San Diego, CA
April 16 – Fonda Theatre – Hollywood, CA
April 17 – 19 – Coachella @ Empire Polo Club – Indio, CA
April 29 – 9:30 Club – Washington, D.C.
April 30 – Union Transfer – Philadelphia, PA
May 1 – Terminal 5 – New York, NY
May 2 – Pearl Street Nightclub – Northampton, MA
May 3 – Paradise Rock Club – Boston, MA
May 5 – Danforth Music Hall – Toronto, Ontario
May 6 – Magic Stick – Detroit, MI
May 7 – Mr. Small’s Theatre – Millvale, PA
May 8 – Skully’s Music Diner – Columbus, OH
May 9 – Headliners Music Hall – Louisville, KY
May 10 – Exit/In – Nashville, TN
May 12 – Cat’s Cradle – Carrboro, NC
May 13 – Music Farm – Columbia, SC
May 14 – Variety Playhouse – Atlanta, GA
May 15 – 17 – Hangout Music Festival @ Gulf Shores Beach – Gulf Shores, AL
May 18 – Fitzgerald’s, Upstairs – Houston, TX
May 19 – South Side Music Hall at Gilley’s – Dallas, TX
May 20 – Emo’s East – Austin, TX
Whether you're a metalhead or not, this NYC trio will have you wrapped up in its soothing dark thrashers. | read
Aliah Sheffield is the singer/songwriter also known as Nikkie Aliah. Her song, “Earth is Ghetto,” recently went viral and she chatted with Nikkiesha about what led her to her viral moment, her musical inspirations, and what she hopes and plans to do next… oh, and tequila. This podcast is… | listen
Bartees Cox is a songwriter and producer who spent years playing in bands in Brooklyn before making the move to Washington, DC, where his solo project, Bartees Strange, took focus and grew - from an album of reinterpretations of The National’s music to his stunning full-length, genre-bending… | watch