This week, I’m joined by the thoughtful, talented Anna Lynett Moss of CHIYOME. With a background in printmaking and drawing, Anna was always drawn to 3-dimensional design and architectural symmetry. Just after her move from L.A. to NYC, Anna launched CHIYOME, her own line of sleek, minimalistic, fashion-forward, yet eminently practical, bags and wallets. With a commitment to sourcing and producing as locally as possible, each beautifully structured piece is hand-crafted here in NYC, at the CHIYOME studios in the iconic 5Pointz building. On today’s show, Anna will talk about her transition from art into design, the family legacy behind the CHIYOME name, the core values around which she has built CHIYOME’s business model, some of the artists and designers that inform her aesthetic, the ways in which she’s actively working to give back to the New York community around her, and more.
Plus, a playlist dedicated to all the amazing albums that have come out in the month of May – you’ll hear new tracks from Sharon Van Etten, Sylvan Esso, Sofie Winterson, Archie Bronson Outfit, and more. So tune in for some timeless classics today on BreakThru Radio!
CHIYOME by Anna Lynett Moss
(Photos by Christopher Saunders and Lauren Jack, courtesy of CHIYOME)
It’s Rent Week on BTR! Renting fashion can be a great solution, especially for clothes you’ll need just once, or for a limited time. It can also be a great way to try something out before you buy it! Check out the following companies that offer great rental solutions:
– Rent the Runway, specializing in designer and special occasion pieces; one of the original clothing rental sites
– Bag, Borrow or Steal, a great accessory rental site offering designer handbags, jewelry and sunglasses; BBS gained notoriety when mentioned in an episode of Sex and the City
– Le Tote, a new monthly subscription/fashion rental site that aims to be the “Netflix of fashion”
– Little Borrowed Dress, so your bridesmaids can *rent* their dresses instead of keeping them in the back of their closets forever!
– Borrow For Your Bump or Belly Bump Boutique, two great maternity rental solutions for casual wear or special occasion
– Be Mini Couture, offering special occasion rentals for children
Odds & Ends:
– Maiyet and Suno are both high-end brands that are making genuine strides towards creating fashion with a conscience.
– Check out a couple of Anna’s favorite artists at Dia:Beacon, including Sol LeWitt and Fred Sandback.
– Looking for the perfect Father’s Day gift? Refinery29 has some great ideas!
– Whether or not you care about its nutritional virtues (vegan, gluten free & soy free) this creamy comfort-food casserole is darn delicious.
– Curious about Christy Turlington’s facial care regime? She keeps it clean & simple with facial oils like Rodin. Expensive, sure, but can you put a price tag on the fountain of youth that Christy seems to have discovered?
– Alpha sizing? Oy vey. The confusion needs to stop.
– Have you seen Everlane’s new summer styles, including their first-ever DRESS? Pretty great! The first batch won’ t last long, so hop to it!
– This weekend, I look forward to not paying any attention to a certain celebrity wedding, and streaming the Primavera Sound Festival live instead.
(Photo by D.L. Anderson)
May 30 – Granada Theater – Dallas, TX
May 31 – Republic – New Orleans, LA
June 3 – The Crescent Ballroom – Phoenix, AZ
June 4 – Irenic – San Diego, CA
June 5 – Fonda Theatre – Hollywood, CA
June 6 – The Filmore – San Francisco, CA
June 13 & 14 – 9:30 Club – Washington, D.C.
June 15 – Union Transfer – Philadelphia, PA
June 16 – Royale Boston – Boston, MA
June 18 – La Tulipe – Montreal, Quebec
June 20 – Cattivo – Pittsburgh, PA
June 22 & 23 – Webster Hall – New York, NY
Sept 12 – The Bowery Ballroom – New York, NY
Sept 17 – Altes Wettburo – Dresden, Germany
Sept 22 – Studio 672, Stadtgarten – Cologne, Germany
Sept 25 – Paradiso Kleine Zaal – Amsterdam, Netherlands
Sept 27 – Badaboum – Paris, France
Sept 28 – Stall 6 – Zurich, Switzerland
Sept 30 – The Green Door Store – Brighton, United Kingdom
Oct 2 – Oslo Hackney – London, United Kingdom
Oct 3 – The Louisiana – Bristol, United Kingdom
Oct 6 – Soup Kitchen – Manchester, United Kingdom
Oct 7 – The Workman’s Club – Dublin, Ireland
Oct 9 – Nice N Sleazy – Glasgow, United Kingdom
Sharon Van Etten
(Photo by Dusdin Condren)
June 1 – Studio 672 @ Stadtgarten – Cologne, Germany
June 2 – Privat Club – Berlin, Germany
June 3 – Bitterzoet – Amsterdam, Netherlands
June 4 – Rough Trade East – London, United Kingdom
June 5 – KOKO – London, United Kingdom
June 11 – The Sinclair – Cambridge, MA
June 12 – Music Hall of Williamsburg – Brooklyn, NY
June 13 & 14 – The Bowery Ballroom – New York, NY
June 17 – 9:30 Club – Washington, D.C.
June 18 – Union Transfer – Philadelphia, PA
June 19 – Mr. Small’s Theatre – Millvale, PA
June 20 – Beachland Ballroom and Tavern – Cleveland, OH
June 21 – Exit/In – Nashville, TN
June 24 – Bluebird Theater – Denver, CO
June 25 – Urban Lounge – Salt Lake City, UT
June 28 – El Rey Theatre – Los Angeles, CA
June 29 & 30 – The Independent – San Francisco, CA
July 2 & 3 – Doug Fir Lounge – Portland, OR
July 6 – Rickshaw Theatre – Vancouver, British Columbia
July 8 – Republik – Calgary, Alberta
July 9 – Starlite Room – Edmonton, Alberta
July 10 – Amigo’s Cantina – Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
July 14 – The Aquarium – Fargo, ND
July 16 – First Avenue – Minneapolis, MN
July 18 – Pitchfork Music Festival – Chicago, IL
July 20 – The Forecastle Festival – Louisville, KY
Aug 5 – 9 – Oya Festival – Oslo, Norway
Aug 14 – 17 – Green Man Festival – Powys, United Kingdom
Archie Bronson Outfit
(Photo by Warwick Baker)
June 3 – L’l-Boat – Bordeaux, France
June 4 – La Sirene – La Rochelle, France
June 5 – VIP – Saint-Nazaire, France
June 6 – Nouveau Casino – Paris, France
June 7 – Le Grand Mix – Tourcoing, France
June 9 – Blue Shell – Cologne, Germany
June 11 – Feierwerk/Kranhalle – Munich, Germany
June 12 – Magnet Club – Berlin, Germany
June 13 – Knust – Hamburg, Germany
June 20 – 22 – Best Kept Secret Festival – Hilvarenbeek, Netherlands
July 3 – 6 – Vida Festival – Vilanova i la Geltru, Spain
Aug 29 – 31 – End of the Road Festival @ Larmer Tree Gardens – Salisbury, United Kingdom
Joyful Noise Recordings is an Indianapolis-based eclectic indie label begun in 2003 by Karl Hofstetter. In this episode, we'll hear a ton of great music from the label's releases, along with an interview with Karl where we cover the label's beginnings, the importance of physical art objects, and how… | listen
Get spiritual with Spiritual Mick! | read
The trailer for Tony Soprano's origin story is here, and it's in the best hands it could possibly be. | read
Ben made long walks a part of his quarantine routine once conditions in New York City were safe enough for that activity. On one of those walks, he was faced with a split-second decision to abandon all the caution he’d previously practiced (and which he discussed in a previous episode of 1st… | watch
LA-based singer songwriter Willa Amai is a superb young talent and the protegée to legendary songwriter Linda Perry (4 Non Blondes). With extensive critical praise ahead of the release of her debut record, it’s no surprise that Amai delivers a stunning solo performance here for BTR Live Studio at… | watch