This week’s Sew & Tell is possibly one of the most important we will ever feature. I’m joined today by Bangladeshi photojournalist Ismail Ferdous, who documented the Rana Plaza factory collapse on the day it happened: April 24, 2013. Ismail’s images make it impossible to ignore the human suffering and heartbreak that resulted from that tragedy, and show intimate, tangible images of grief and devastation. Fellow photographer and filmmaker Nathan Fitch met Ismail at a workshop, and, moved by his images, the two began a collaboration that would ultimately lead to the creation of their Cost of Fashion initiative. On today’s show, Ismail generously shares his memories from being at Rana Plaza on the day of the collapse and some of the stories he’s heard from survivors, and Ismail and Nathan talk about the inherently problematic fast fashion system, and the ways in which they hope to raise awareness through Cost of Fashion.
And as always, I’ve got some new music in the mix today including tracks from Southern Florida’s Helado Negro, Australian pop quintet The Trouble with Templeton, a single off the upcoming June release from The Antlers, and more.
Please join us today on BreakThru Radio as we learn more about the single deadliest garment industry disaster in history, and some small and not-so-small ways in which we can help effect some urgently-needed change.
Cost of Fashion, by Ismail Ferdous and Nathan Fitch
Select images from the series Fatal Downfall-Garment Collapse, by Ismail Ferdous
Images from the Cost of Fashion NYFW demonstration, courtesy of Cost of Fashion
Ways to spread the word, help out, and make a change:
– Watch & share “The Deadly Cost of Fashion” op-doc by Nathan and Ismail.
– Follow Cost of Fashion on Facebook and Twitter for updates on future projects and developments.
– Sign the Clean Clothes Campaign petition, aimed at securing a living wage for workers, and the petitions demanding compensation for victims and families of Rana Plaza from The Children’s Place, Walmart, and The Gap.
– Donate to the Rana Plaza Donors Trust Fund.
– Check the ILRF guide to “Shop with a Conscience,” and take a look at some of my favorite ethical fashion resources in the Odds & Ends below.
Odds & Ends:
– Check out a few of these great ethical shops for beautiful, fashion-forward styles with higher standards: Modavanti, Ethica, Zady, Kaight, The IOU Project, Everlane, and Given Goods Co.
– Follow the sustainable style blogs FASHIONmeGREEN and spades + siLK for more ethical lifestyle and fashion resources.
– Craving something creamy and decadent without the guilt? Try this delicious cauliflower alfredo pasta from Detoxinista!
– Some stunning looks from this week’s red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival.
– Am I the only one IN LOVE with this gorgeous chunky necklace made from recycled metal? No. I know you are, too.
– Stream the full album “Wine Dark Sea” from Jolie Holland via NPR before it’s release on Tuesday!
(Photo by Scott Irvine)
June 10 – The Echo – Los Angeles, CA
June 11 – The Independent – San Francisco, CA
June 12 – Sophia’s Thai Kitchen – Davis, CA
June 14 – Star Theater – Portland, OR
June 15 – The Crocodile – Seattle, WA
June 16 – Biltmore Cabaret – Vancouver, British Columbia
June 21 – Milkboy Philly – Philadelphia, PA
June 22 – Rock & Roll Hotel – Washington, D.C.
June 24 – Music Hall of Williamsburg – Brooklyn, NY
June 25 – Brighton Music Hall – Allston, MA
June 26 – Showcase Lounge @ Higher Ground – Burlington, VT
June 27 – Neat – Burnstown, Ontario
June 28 – Petit Campus – Montreal, Quebec
June 29 – Great Hall – Toronto, Ontario
Aug 1 – 3 – Pendarvis Farm – Happy Valley, OR
The Trouble With Templeton
(Photo via The Trouble With Templeton Facebook)
May 18 – La Peniche – Lille, France
May 21 – The Islington – London, United Kingdom
May 22 – Oslo Hackney – London, United Kingdom
May 23 – 25 – Dot To Dot Festival – Manchester, United Kingdom
(Photo by Sarah Cass)
May 16 – Cedar Cultural Center – Minneapolis, MN
May 17 – Gabe’s Oasis – Iowa City, IA
May 18 – The Bishop – Bloomington, IN
May 19 – The Basement – Columbus, OH
May 20 – Johnny Brenda’s – Philadelphia, PA
May 21 – Music Hall of Williamsburg – Brooklyn, NY
May 22 – Brighton Music Hall – Allston, MA
Let yourself get wrapped up in this melancholic wind of nostalgia. | read